During the 30 years of my working life I have meet so many people who for one reason or another either are, or feel like they are, in the wrong job. Actually,
85% of all people between the ages of 25 and 55 when asked said that they were in the “WRONG JOB”.
Over the years I have been privileged to work with hundreds of people and sessions either start with issues around work and move on to family and relationship challenges OR they start with issues around family and relationships and move on to challenges around their work. In my experience, unhappiness at work impacts on all other aspects of our life. The two are inextricably intertwined.
A lack of motivation in our work brings inefficiency, low levels of performance, reduced self belief and a poor self image, low morale, unhappiness, frustration, apathy and even depression, a downturn in health, increased absence and eventual resignation.
When we don’t get what we need from our work those feelings are most often taken home from the office or work place with us and have an impact on our family life. As a result, relationships with spouse, children, parents and friends are damaged.
Conversely, when we are happy, motivated and fulfilled at work, we tend to take those feelings home with us. The benefits of being in the right job and having a happy and fulfilling career go way beyond our working day. Relationships at home, quality of life and self esteem are magnificently enhanced.
I have been fortunate enough to have frequently found myself in a position to have some impact on assisting people to make the often long overdue decision to change jobs from one they dislike because it’s wrong for them to one they like because it’s right for them. If they have been in between jobs I have helped them choose their next job carefully ensuring that this time their prime motivational drivers might all be satisfied. Often starting the new business that they have dreamed about is exactly what they need.
I know that making these big decisions is not easy and it might help us to ask the question :-
So why do 85% of all people in the UK believe they are in the wrong job ?
Because for one of a multitude of reasons they are not happy in their present job
For one of another multitude of reasons, they haven’t already made the changes that absolutely need to be made
So What do they say they feel about their present job ……………….
- They feel stuck
- They are bored
- They are frustrated
- They feel undervalued
- Their skill set is underutilised
- Their job is pointless in the grand scheme of things
- They feel like a round peg in a square hole
And more ………
What aren’t they getting from their work ………………….
- Enough money
- Enough responsibility
- Opportunities to get excel at what they do
- The chance to work closely with others
- Stability and Security
- Recognition and appreciation for what they do
- Meaningful and worthwhile projects to work with
- Opportunities to be creative and to innovate
- Freedom and independence
And what reasons do they give as to why they haven’t changed their job already ……
- They don’t know what they want to do next they just know it’s not this
- They worry that they won’t like the next job they take either
- They worry about failure and the consequences of failure (on finances, relationships etc )
- They fear what their friends/parents/colleagues will say
- They fear leaving what they perceive to be security
- They worry about leaving after they have climbed the greasy pole for so long
- They worry about leaving a pension behind
And more ……….
So if they were to choose another job, what are they looking for?
- To make more money
- A new challenge
- More responsibility
- To create a balance in their lives
- To work in a friendly environment
- Satisfaction & contentment
- Being valued
- Being appreciated and told so
- To become an expert at something
- To feel safe and secure
- Feeling passionate about what they do
- To do something important and meaningful
- Feeling vital, dynamic & driven
- To be proud of what they do
- To being “On Purpose”
- To feel a sense of belonging
- To create something new
- To be independent
- To ‘making a difference’ in other people’s lives
- To feel free
- To jump out of bed in a morning and shout “YES”
And more ………
I can help you to take the right steps to get the satisfaction and fulfilment you need from your present role if possible and if not, we help you choose the right kind of job or start the right business, the one that’s perfect for you, the one you are perfectly motivated for, so you can be happy and fulfilled in your work. Working in the right role or job or business puts a smile on your face, a smile that you will carry through in to all other aspects of your life.
Using our on-line diagnostic tool which takes 15 minutes to complete and provides a 99.9% accurate ten page report, we help you to understand your own individual Internal Motivational Drivers so that you can recognise what you really need from your work. After a consultation of up to an hour on what the report reveals for you, informed decisions can be made with far greater confidence.
Go now to the my-map page and request a Motivational Map. Once you have completed the questions you will receive a one hour consultation where you will learn so much about yourself and come to fully understand what you need right now to enhance your sense of fun, happiness and fulfilment in life.
For a free, no obligation discussion with Nick – either by telephone or in person, about how you personally can benefit from working with him and the Motivational Map® technology please get in touch.
01842 77 33 55 / 07827 344 344
Our Motivation can now be precisely identified and measured !
When we fully understand and recognise the truth
of our own individual Motivational Drivers
make a conscious choice to work in a role where
each of our unique drivers are perfectly satisfied,
then we can quite naturally enjoy
health, happiness and fulfilment
Enhanced personal power,
Outstanding performance &